Naturopathic medicine is a distinct system of primary health care that skillfully combines ancient therapeutic traditions with modern science to restore health. Naturopathic Doctors (NDs) use a variety of therapies to restore and maintain the health of their patients including clinical nutrition, botanical medicine, homeopathic medicine, physical medicine, and lifestyle recommendations. Naturopaths work to support the body’s innate ability to heal with natural therapeutics by following the guiding principles of naturopathic medicine.
The Six Principles
My work is guided by the enduring naturopathic medical philosophy:
- First Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere) – I use natural methods that are low risk and have few or no side effects
- The Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae) – I believe in the body’s innate ability to heal itself and I will facilitate this process whenever possible.
- Discover and Treat the Cause (Tolle Causam) – I will always search beyond the symptoms to find the underlying root or cause of an illness.
- Treat the Whole Person (Tolle Totum) – I believe that the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health of every individual must function in harmony in order to recover from and prevent disease.
- The Physician is a Teacher (Docere) – I believe that teaching with hope, knowledge and understanding will help each individual to heal by making healthy lifestyle changes.
- Prevention is the best “cure” (Praevenire) – I am a specialist in preventive medicine and I work with each individual to create a specific lifestyle plan that takes into consideration personal risk factors, genetics and susceptibility to future disease.